Trainings are 2 to 3 hours and qualify for CLE and CPE credits. The length of time required to resolve cases depends on the case type, but many cases can take an average of 10 hours to resolve. Tax preparation cases take about 1 hour to complete.
How it works
- PTLA offers periodic trainings in specific areas of tax law, eligible for CLE/CPE credits.
- Volunteer attorneys, CPAs, and Enrolled Agents attend trainings at no cost in exchange for a commitment to accept a pro bono tax case in the area of the training.
- Volunteers may also indicate willingness to accept other types of tax cases in their area(s) of expertise.
- Pine Tree staff intake and screen cases for pro bono referrals. Once a case is identified for referral, Pine Tree will reach out to the volunteer for a conflict check. If the conflict check clears, Pine Tree sends case documents to the volunteer and referral paperwork to the client.
- The volunteer provides full or limited representation to the client for the referred case.
- Pine Tree staff and volunteers provide support and mentorship to volunteers as needed.
- You will use your professional skills to achieve life changing results for clients. Tax debt relief can have a profound impact on a person’s ability to meet basic needs.
- There is an urgent need for legal and professional assistance in tax cases statewide, and tax can be one of the most challenging areas for volunteer recruitment. Your participation makes a difference in the lives of low-income Mainers!
- No previous tax experience is necessary.
- Pine Tree offers training, support, and mentorship to help you succeed with your case.
- Malpractice insurance is available for attorneys and may be available for other volunteers (evaluated on a case by case basis).
- You will join a passionate team of attorneys and tax professionals dedicated to improving outcomes for our community members!