Academic Year Law Student Externships and Fellowships
Applications for remote or in-person, part- or full-time law student externships during the academic year are accepted on a rolling basis. Pine Tree is enthusiastic about partnering with law students and recent law graduates to develop fellowship proposals as resources allow. The number of opportunities varies from year to year. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume by email to Shannon Karam, Esq. (she/her), Director of Pro Bono Services, at email@example.com.
Interested in applying for a post-graduate fellowship with Pine Tree? Applications are due to Pine Tree by July 14, 2023. Check out our posting and apply to Pine Tree here: Careers at PTLA | Pine Tree Legal Assistance
Pine Tree is committed to creating an inclusive environment for staff and volunteers. We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds, including women, Black, Indigenous, and people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, immigrants, and people who have experienced poverty or homelessness.
Opportunities may include interviewing and presenting legal information to clients, and/or research, investigation, and assisting with development and program needs. PTLA also makes an effort to tailor responsibilities to each intern’s respective interests and goals. Interns can expect their experiences to enhance their understanding of Maine's civil legal system and of the obstacles people with low incomes face as they attempt to resolve often overwhelming legal matters.
Interns will learn how PTLA and other nonprofit legal services providers work to overcome barriers to justice, while making valuable contributions toward this goal. Activities may include attending staff case review sessions, observing court cases, participating in our summer lecture series introducing many of our areas of practice, and participating in group projects.
Duties and Responsibilities may include:
- Work closely with paralegals to intake new clients both in court and through call center hours.
- Meet with clients and assist with preparation of necessary paperwork and the collection of relevant evidence, including gathering documents, and photographing living conditions.
- Attend case meetings (as schedule allows) where attorneys collaboratively review cases and develop legal strategies for litigation.
- Shadow advocates at a variety of court proceedings, and possibly observe trial or law court arguments.
- Participate in a weekly lunch lecture series, gaining exposure to practice areas at Pine Tree across the state and insight into how the various areas of practice work together to provide holistic legal services to low-income Mainers.
- Assist with community outreach programs and research related to project and grant development.
- Assist with administrative tasks (data entry, copying, filing, etc.) as assigned.
Pine Tree seeks highly motivated student interns, with a demonstrated interest in working with low-income individuals from diverse backgrounds. Interns should have strong research, writing and communication skills, and the ability to work independently and in a group.
Undergraduate Internship Opportunities Academic Year 2023-24
Staff attorneys with PTLA's Family Law/Victims' Rights Unit and Indigenous People's Unit are seeking an undergraduate intern to work part-time in person in Pine Tree's Bangor office. There is flexibility for the right person to work between 8 and 30 hours per week, primarily during regular business hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm weekdays). There is also some flexibility about start and end dates, either for the Fall 2023 semester, the Spring 2024 semester, or both.
***Please note that cases handled by Pine Tree, particularly by our Family Law/Victims' Rights Unit, often involve distressing subject matter including sexual assault, domestic violence, and other kinds of crises.
This position is an unpaid, part-time internship. A schedule will be determined by the student and Pine Tree.
When applying, please note whether you are interested in a position for the fall, the spring, or for the entire academic year, and about how many hours per week you expect to be available.
UPDATE 9/20/23: This internship has now been filled for the fall. If the position will re-open for spring semester 2024, we will post here, by mid to late October 2023, a new application deadline.