The eviction defense training is 3 hours and qualifies for at least 2.5 CLE credits. Each full representation eviction case referral takes an average of 5 to 15 hours to resolve. Attorneys participating in the small cohort spend about 5 hours per week on eviction cases for a period of six months. Volunteers are encouraged to attend weekly office hours with staff and other volunteers to discuss case questions.
How it works
- Private attorneys attend eviction defense trainings for free in exchange for a commitment to join one of two tracks in Pine Tree's pro bono Eviction Defense Project.
- In the first track, private attorneys agree to accept one full representation pro bono eviction referral from Pine Tree within the next year.
- In the second track, Pine Tree will give close support and mentorship to 3 - 4 attorneys who agree to accept a pro bono eviction case from Pine Tree on an approximately biweekly basis for a period of six months.
- Attorneys interested in the second track should express their interest on the registration form.
- Pine Tree staff intake and screen cases for pro bono referrals. Once a case is identified for referral, Pine Tree will reach out to the volunteer for a conflict check. If the conflict check clears,
- Pine Tree will send case documents to the volunteer and referral paperwork to the client.
- The volunteer attorney provides full representation to the tenant with their eviction case.
- The scope of the referral is limited to the eviction case.
- Pine Tree provides support and mentorship through weekly office hours and other communications with volunteers as needed.
- Attorneys who complete the second track are invited to mentor new volunteer attorneys in the next cohort.
- Volunteers will utilize their professional skills to make an immense impact for low-income tenants.
- Eviction assistance is urgently needed in Maine. Volunteers expand Pine Tree’s capacity to meet this need.
- Volunteers will receive hands-on experience with the structured support of experienced staff.
- Volunteers will join an enthusiastic team dedicated to helping clients and mentoring volunteers.
- Pine Tree provides malpractice insurance and other resources for volunteer attorneys.