Trainings are 2 to 3 hours and qualify for CLE credits. The length of time required to resolve cases depends on the case type, with debt defense cases taking an average of 5 hours, and auto fraud referrals taking an average of 15 hours per case.
How it works
- Private attorneys attend CLE trainings at no cost in exchange for a commitment to later consider or accept a related pro bono case referral for full representation.
- Pine Tree staff intake and screen cases for pro bono referrals.
- Once a case is identified for referral, Pine Tree will reach out to the volunteer for a conflict check. If the conflict check clears, Pine Tree sends case documents to the volunteer and referral paperwork to the client.
- The volunteer provides full representation to the client for the referred case.
- Pine Tree staff provide support and mentorship to volunteers as needed.
- Volunteers gain practical experience while using their professional skills to assist economically vulnerable clients.
- While pro bono attorneys do not charge fees to clients, some case types (such as auto fraud) may be eligible for attorneys’ fees from the adverse party if the case is successful.
- Pine Tree offers training and the support of experienced staff, along with malpractice insurance and other resources for volunteer attorneys.
- You will join an energized group of knowledgeable consumer attorneys at Pine Tree!