Welcome to PTLA's Farmworker Unit!
We provide free legal services to eligible farmworkers in Maine.
We help people who:
- Harvest crops like apples, broccoli, and blueberries
- Work in forestry
- Work in packing houses
- Work in the seafood industry
- Work in wreath making
We also provide legal services to farmworkers in other New England states, and we publish information for farmworkers each year.
- A Harvest Calendar full of information about the rights of farmworkers
- A Newsletter with information for H-2A workers
- Videos with information on many farmworker topics
- Rights of H-2A Farmworkers (English) | Trabajadores Agricolas H-2A (Spanish)
- The Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act: Know Your Rights! (above - English) | La ley para la Protección de los Trabajadores Agrícolas Migratorios y de Temporada (Spanish)
Please contact us for more information, or to get a free copy of these resources!
How to Find Us
Pine Tree Legal Assistance
115 Main Street, 2nd floor
Bangor ME 04401
Phone: (207) 942-0673
Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm; Monday through Friday (closed at noon)
More resources and information from the Farmworker Unit
We have several articles about Farmworker Rights & COVID-19
- Maine and New England Farmworkers: COVID-19 and Protection from Retaliation (English - Haitian Creole - Spanish)
- Healthcare for Farmworkers in Maine During COVID-19
- COVID-19: Maine and New England Farmworkers(English - Haitian Creole - Spanish)
We also have a growing library of articles about the rights of farmworkers. We have highlighted some important articles below. You can view the full Farmworker library here.
Read this page to learn about laws that protect farmworkers, information about where to get legal help, and information about COVID-19, workers’ compensation, minimum wage, and federal farmworker protections.
Information about the minimum wage, work hours, and overtime for farmworkers, in English and Spanish.
Information for farmworkers experiencing domestic violence. Safety first. If you are in danger, call 911 for the Police. Physical abuse by your spouse or partner is illegal. Your safety is most important. In English and Spanish.
Information about this federal law that covers most farms and farmworkers (except those on H-2A visas). In English and Spanish.