Affordable Health Care for H2A Workers 2016
You may qualify for health insurance at little or no cost while working in the US on your H2A contract.
- Each state provides different types of health Insurance coverage, so this section provides general information.
- Ask your boss, your local clinic or your Legal Services office for a phone number to contact the navigator. The navigator in your area will see if you qualify for health insurance and to enroll you if you do qualify.
- You must be found eligible to be able to enroll.
- Depending on your income, you may qualify for lower premiums for your health insurance.
- This health insurance is only available while you are in the United States; when you return home you cannot use this insurance.
- You will be still covered under Workers’ Compensation, if you are injured at work, or have a work related illness. Be sure to tell your doctor the injury, accident or illness is work related, and Workers’ Compensation will pay all medical costs.
- A fine or penalty can be added to your Federal Income Taxes if you do not have health insurance. (Sometimes the cost of insurance is less than penalty.) Many short term or low income workers will be exempt and do not have to pay a penalty.
Emergency Medicaid is another program that can help you with Medical Bills, if you do not have health insurance. If you are hospitalized or need expensive medical procedures you can apply for Emergency Medicaid. While you are still in the hospital, ask your case worker or social worker to help you apply for Emergency Medicaid. Do not delay this request, it should be done immediately