Maine's Food Supplement Program
Here is some information about the Food Supplement Program in Maine. Find out how to qualify and how much help you can get.
- Try our Maine Food Supplement Program Estimators. This easy-to-use tool helps you to figure out whether you may be eligible and for how much.
- To apply online, go to My Maine Connection. Online application is recommended. Or, if you need more help, find your local office here. More information from DHHS here (including link to the "Maine Food Supplement Program Certification Manual," which DHHS workers use to determine eligibility and grant amounts).
- If you have questions about how to use your Pine Tree card, read: Using Your EBT Card to Get Food Supplements and TANF: Frequently Asked Questions.
- For information about what you are allowed to buy with your Food Supplement benefits, go to the USDA website. More information from the USDA here.
- Go to the Maine Equal Justice Project website to read The Food Supplement Program: An Overview. This will answer questions you may have about how to qualify for a food supplement. How much property can you own? Who has to follow work rules? Who must be included as part of the benefit household?
Recent Rule Changes
Rule on Lottery/Gambling Winnings
As of November, 2016 if anyone in your "benefits household" has lottery or gambling winnings of $5000.00 or more in one calendar month, your benefits will automatically end. You can re-apply for benefits immediately, and all of the asset and income tests that would normally apply to you will be done, taking the gambling winnings into account.
New work rules and 3 month limit
New work rules for some people who get food benefits went into effect in 2014. But you may still qualify. Learn more about these new rules.
EBT card photos
Basically, the rule is that no one is required to have a photo on their EBT card. People who are elderly or disabled should not even be asked if they want an EBT photo. MEJP posts all of the rules here. If you do not want your photo taken and DHHS doesn't allow you that choice, contact us or MEJP.